Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Working for Peace : No one can deny this is the answer of our living world!

Even though some time has already passed, whenever I hear the word "peace", there is a ringing in my heart.
 
A few weeks ago, I visted the U.N Memorial Park with my children.
 We were walking around here and there when we saw a large crowd gathered in one area.

People of various races, color and nations along with a magnificent band were preparing some parade.  And there was one man proclaiming peace on the podium.

Honestly speaking, the idea of peace is something we are all familiar with, but it never really struck a chord with me.  Peace was always vague and distant.

Our world is suffering everyday from wars and oppression, yet the reality is that we just watch these incidents
as if they were some fire accident occuring across the street.  

The speech I happened to hear by chance that afternoon still lingers in my heart.

The truth is, there are many people in the world who work for peace and many who have won awards for their efforts towards peace.
Yet, there is not one place on this earth where peace exists.

The speaker urged the importance of those working for peace to be united as one.  There is no you and me, high and low- we must all work together as one.

This statement really made a strong impression in my heart.

I'm Catholic and even though the person next to me is Muslim, if we truly became one there would be no reason to fight for religious reasons.  And I also
realized that there would be no reason to criticize and point fingers at each other.


The reason why we couldn't become united as one was because we were so busy claiming that MY religion was the best.  As a result, rather than achieving peace we have
been living in a world with unending violence and wars.

The speaker's words, that it is our duty to end wars so that we can leave peace as an inheritance to our descendants, remains in my ears.

It felt as if all people of the world were gathered together in the U.N. Memorial Cemetery.

Through the voices and every motion of the people gathered on that day, I can feel the deep longing and desperation for peace.

Even though the crowd was shouting for peace in their own respective languages, they became one through their gestures and no one could deny their sincerity.

They were all holding signs with words displaying their longing for peace written in their own languages.

Have you seen their joyful expressions as they participated in the Peace Walk(IPYG Peace walk)?

Regardless of age, race and gender, everyone became one that day as they shouted their yearning for peace in one voice.

It was an event that I happened to come across by chance, but I'm so thankful and blessed to have participated.

It made me think that, the confident and resounding voice proclaiming peace on the podium along with the large crowd united as one,
is what true peace is.

It was an unforgettable moment that made me realize that true peace will be possible when all people set aside their differences and become one.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I coulda been there...I heard about the one year anniversary last month. What a beautiful sight to see all people join together for one purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope all people to join peace work :)

    ReplyDelete